YeHaa Bob delivers fun & music at Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside Resort
Posted December 10, 2008on:
We just returned from a quick family trip to Walt Disney World Resort. Our main objective was to enjoy the beautiful Christmas sights and sounds but we also wanted to do some of things we’ve known about but never quite got to on past trips. The undisputed “New Favorite” is YeeHaa Bob (Bob Jackson) – who leads a great boogie-woogie sing-along at the River Roost Lounge in Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside Resort (POR).
- Expect a tall man in brightly colored pants (yellow, the night we were there) playing a ragtime piano and leading songs that everybody knows. He’s an energetic performer with a gift for encouraging audience participation. I was there from 9:00PM to Midnight and there were only 2 songs to which I did not know all the words: Ring of Fire and The Addams Family theme song. We sang songs like Hey, Jude; Piano Man; I Got You, Babe; Sweet Caroline, etc.
- The atmosphere is fun and energetic. It might not appeal to the very dignified but is probably perfect for people who enjoy a good time and who don’t take themselves too seriously. You’ll get to beat your chest and yell, “Charge!” at the end of a bugle call, you might get to do the hand-jive, or swing your arms in your best Elvis style.
- Bob signed autographs, posed for photos, and seemed genuinely interested in every person who came to say hello during the intermissions.
- The show is family-friendly. The night I was there, there were several kids present until about the second intermission. The River Roost has a bar but I didn’t observe anyone in an intoxicated state. The wait staff are available for drink orders but there was no pressure. I purchased two sodas over the course of the evening and that didn’t seem to be unusual. It is probably a good idea to tip very generously if, like me, you are there for several hours. There is a no smoking policy at the River Roost.
- Cost: no admission charge, no cover charge. My husband & I spent about $10 on beverages over a 3 hour period – it was a fun date for not much money.
- You can purchase Bob CD’s for $10 each. I believe he had four five different CDs available.
- Schedule: Bob is usually at POR Tuesday through Saturday nights and plays from 8:30PM – Midnight. He posts his schedule on his website at the beginning of the month. Bob is a real person and sometimes has schedule changes or vacation time so please check his schedule before your trip. I’d hate for you to miss seeing his show.
- If the schedule lines up, you can team this up with the Campfire on de’ Bayou story time & campfire sing-along that is being offered on Thursday and Sunday nights at Port Orleans Riverside’s Ol’ Man Island Fishin’ Hole from 6:30 – 8:00PM through March 2009.
- You do not have to stay at Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside resort to enjoy these activities. If you drive, just tell the gatekeeper that you’re going to be visiting the resort for a few hours and they’ll direct you to the visitors parking area.
- Bob also performs at Auggies Jammin’ Pianos in the Gaylord Palms Hotel.
- Bob is also involved with the worship portion of Ocoee Christian Church’s Sunday morning worship service. We hope to get to visit the church on a future visit.